Diabetes Prevention Program
Throughout the COVID-19 global health crisis the Diabetes Prevention Program will only be available online. Please ensure members have met the minimum system requirements (an Internet connection and phone or computer with a functioning microphone and video camera) to participate.
The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) is a 12-month healthy lifestyle change program that helps prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes through:
- Educational opportunities to learn about the importance of eating healthy and exercising regularly
- Educational materials
- Group support
To qualify, HPSM Medi-Cal and CareAdvantage members must:
- Be 18 years or older
- Not be pregnant
- Have no previous diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of at least 25, or at least 23 if self-identified as Asian
- Have a blood test result in the prediabetes range within the last 12 months:
- Hemoglobin A1c test: 5.7% - 6.4%
- Fasting plasma glucose: 100-125 mg/dL
- Two-hour plasma glucose: 140-199 mg/dL (oral glucose tolerance test)
- NOT have end stage renal disease
If a member meets the above requirements and is interested in enrolling in the Diabetes Prevention Program, please complete the referral form below. Members can confirm if they qualify by calling HPSM's Health Education line at 650-616-2165.
How much does DPP cost for eligible members?
The program is provided at no cost to DPP-eligible members.
How long is the program?
The program covers 22 peer-coaching sessions over 12 months. In addition, members who maintain a required minimum weight loss of five percent from the first sessions may be eligible to receive ongoing maintenance sessions past the 12-month core services period.
What if a member does not have access to transportation?
DPP eligible members can use HPSM's transportation benefit to get to in-person DPP sessions.
What if a member has diabetes?
Members who have diabetes can call HPSM's Health Education line at 650-616-2165 for referrals to diabetes resources in San Mateo County.