Healthy Kids Members Moved to Medi-Cal
As of October 1st, 2019, HPSM's Healthy Kids HMO program has ended. Most Healthy Kids members have moved into our Medi-Cal Managed Care Plan. Medi-Cal is a program that offers free or low-cost health coverage for children and adults with limited income
and resources. Like other Medi-Cal Managed Care Plans in California, HPSM’s Medi-Cal program provides health benefits to members by contracting with doctors, clinics and hospitals.
If your child was a Healthy Kids member, you should have already received a letter about this change. But here is a summary of what you need to know.
All Healthy Kids members who are eligible for the County Children’s Health Insurance Program (CCHIP) will receive Medi-Cal benefits. If your child is not eligible
for CCHIP, contact HPSM Member Services to learn about other health coverage options.
If you move or change your phone number, be sure to call HPSM’s San Mateo County Health Coverage Unit at 650-616-2002. This will make sure your child remains eligible and you continue to get important information.
As of October 1st, 2019, you no longer have to pay copayments for prescriptions or for visits to the doctor.
The way you pay for your child’s health insurance has changed:
- You are now responsible for paying your premium monthly.
- The CCHIP Program Administrator will send you information about when and how to pay your monthly premium.
*Keep paying your child’s premium to the new CCHIP Administrator.
- If you don’t pay your premiums in full for two months in a row, your child will be disenrolled from the CCHIP Program.
- Premium assistance is no longer available.
- If you pay three months in advance you get one month free.
CCHIP Program Administrator: 1-833-91C-CHIP (1-833-912-2447) or TTY 711
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00p.m.
Most services stay the same
Medi-Cal covers the same services as Healthy Kids, including:
- Medical visits
- Prescription drugs
- Vision services
- Mental health and behavioral health services
- Alcohol and drug treatment
Dental services are provided by Medi-Cal Dental (also called Denti-Cal). Your child can get the same dental services as they did through Healthy Kids, but how often they can get them will change for some services.
Your child may see any dentist that accepts Medi-Cal Dental. Ask your child’s dentist if they take Medi-Cal Dental. If the answer is “Yes,” then they can keep that dentist. If the answer is “No,” then you will need to
find a new dentist.
As a Medi-Cal member, your child can get additional benefits through a program called Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic, and Treatment (EPSDT), which stands for:
- Early Assess and identify problems early
- Periodic Check children’s health at periodic, age-appropriate times
- Screening Provide screening tests to find possible problems (physical, behavioral, developmental, dental, hearing or vision)
- Diagnostic Perform diagnostic tests to follow up when a risk is found
- Treatment Control, correct or reduce health problems
New ID cards
As of October 1st, 2019, you should have two ID cards:
- A Medi-Cal Beneficiary Identification Card (BIC) card
- A new HPSM health plan card
Bring both cards to your child’s doctor and dentist appointments.