Prescriptions & Pharmacies
When prescribed by a doctor:
- Brand and generic medications in the Healthy Kids HMO Formulary (below)
- Prenatal vitamins and birth control
- Diabetic supplies (medications such as insulin, needles and testing equipment)
- Stop smoking patch or gum
- Products for the treatment of phenylketonuria
- Non-formulary drugs that your doctor prescribes and gets prior authorization for from HPSM
- Over-the-counter medicines (including dietary supplements)
- Experimental medicines
- Medication for cosmetic use
- Medications for erectile dysfunction
- $3 co-pay for covered medications prescribed by your doctor
- $10 co-pay for brand medication when generic option is available
Search for a covered drug
In general, your prescriptions are covered only if they are filled at HPSM network pharmacies.
If your prescription is denied at the pharmacy, call your doctor. Your doctor needs to request a prior authorization from HPSM to get coverage for that drug by filling out the Pharmacy Prior Authorization Request Form and faxing it to 650-829-2045. Your physician’s approval is required.
Search for a pharmacy
- Search by pharmacy name, health plan, location or type of provider
- Click on a pharmacy name in the search results to see additional information
- Search results include links to interactive maps and directions
- Print or save the information for individual pharmacies
- Weekly updates ensure you get the most accurate results
Pharmacies outside your area
The HPSM pharmacy network includes chains that have pharmacies outside of the San Mateo County area, which you can use when traveling in the United States.
- Costco: 1-800-607-6861
- CVS: 1-800-746-7287
- Target: 1-800-440-0680
- Rite Aid: 1-800-748-3243
- Walgreens: 1-800-925-4733
Pharmacy for specialty medications
If you have been prescribed medicine for treatment of a chronic condition, a regular pharmacy may not be able to fill your prescription. Alphascript is HPSM's preferred pharmacy for specialty medications.
To find out if you need to use Alphascript:
Call Member Services, your doctor, or Alphascript. To avoid delays in filling your prescription, call Alphascript on the day that you receive your prescription (before you leave your doctor’s office or clinic, if possible).
Call Alphascript at 1-800-780-3584
Conditions that are treated with specialty medications:
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Cystic fibrosis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Multiple sclerosis
- Crohn’s disease
- Kidney disease
- Organ transplant
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Ulcerative colitis
- Plaque psoriasis
- Bone marrow transplant
Many self-injectable drugs are specialty medications (insulin is not included).