Member Language Services
If your Primary Care Provider (PCP) or specialist does not speak your language, HPSM can help. We have free interpretation services so you can talk to each other. You can get phone interpreters for all routine visits. All you need to do is ask your doctor to call one. In special cases, an interpreter can go to the visit with you.
Ask for an interpreter
- CareAdvantage members call 1-866-880-0606 or 650-616-2174 Monday–Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Medi-Cal, HealthWorx and ACE Members call 1-800-750-4776 or 650-616-2133 Monday–Friday 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- TTY: 1-800-735-2929 or dial 7-1-1
It’s much better to have an interpreter translate for you instead of family or friends because they are:
- Experts at translating one language into another
- Trained to understand complex health information
- Legally barred from telling others what you say
Ask for a sign-language interpreter
Members with hearing impairments can get an American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter. They will go with you to your doctor’s visit at no cost. Call 1-800-735-2929 at least five days before your doctor's visit.
Our phone interpreters speak more than 200 languages. Plus, our written materials are available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Tagalog, and Russian. These are the five most common languages spoken in San Mateo County. Contact us to get free written materials in your preferred language.