Go Before You Show
Free and low-cost private prenatal insurance for women in San Mateo County. 650-616-2165
Seeing a doctor during and after pregnancy helps keep you and your baby healthy. It is important to visit a doctor:
- For an initial prenatal appointment within the first twelve weeks of becoming pregnant
- Throughout your pregnancy
- For a postpartum appointment within three to eight weeks after giving birth
For more information and to sign up, call HPSM’s Health Education Line at 650-616-2165.
- If you don’t have health insurance enroll in free Temporary Medi-Cal for pregnant women.
- If you do not qualify for Temporary Medi-Cal, contact AIM (Access for Infants and Mothers): 1-800-433-2611.
Pregnant Women Get Free Care in California
Temporary Medi-Cal is a program for women and teens without prenatal insurance. Immigration status does not matter. These prenatal services are covered for free:
- Pregnancy test at a clinic
- Prenatal care visits
- Prescription medicines for your pregnancy
Applying for Temporary Medi-Cal is fast and easy
- Call a clinic or doctor to make an appointment for prenatal care.
- Tell the staff that you do not have health insurance.
- Apply for temporary Medi-Cal when you are at your appointment. You will receive a temporary Medi-Cal (PE) card.
Prenatal Care Providers in the Temporary Medi-Cal Program
About Presumptive Eligibility Medi-Cal
Presumptive Eligibility (PE) for Pregnant Women is a Medi-Cal program that gives free, immediate, and temporary coverage for prenatal care. It is temporary while an application for the permanent Medi-Cal program is being reviewed. PE Medi-Cal covers clinic pregnancy tests, prenatal care visits, and prenatal prescription medicines only. Immigration status does not affect eligibility for PE.