Health Tips / Exercise / How Much to Exercise
How Much to Exercise
The amount of time that health experts suggest people spend exercising varies by age. Adults (18 years old and up) should get the following amounts of exercise per week:
- Aerobic: Either two and a half hours of moderate exercise, an hour and 15 minutes of vigorous exercise or some combination. (Learn
more about how hard to exercise.) Spread your exercise out over the week in any way that
works for you. For example:
- Moderate exercise 30 minutes of exercise a day + 5 days a week = 2.5 hours
- Vigorous exercise 15 minutes of exercise a day + 5 days a week = 1.25 hours
- Strength: At least two workouts of all major muscle groups. Aim to work out for 20 to 30 minutes. Start with a weight you can lift 12 to 15 times. Increase weight as you get stronger.
- Balance & flexibility: Stretch for several minutes two to three times per week. Or do exercises that include stretching, such as yoga or tai chi.
Don’t have that much time to exercise? Then just do what you can. Any amount of time you spend exercising is helpful! Taking the stairs instead of the elevator counts. So does housework and yardwork – if you break a sweat!