Get the Flu Shot Every Year
Flu vaccines help protect you from a disease that affects thousands of people in the United States every year. Get the latest updates about the flu from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
You can get a no-cost flu shot at:
- Your primary care provider's (PCP's) office
- Retail pharmacies: call first to check vaccine availability – find a location near you
- A flu clinic in San Mateo County – find a clinic in San Mateo County
If you think you or your child may have the flu, call HPSM’s Nurse Advice Line at 1-833-846-8773 before going to the emergency room.
Three ways to fight the flu & stay healthy!
1) Get the flu vaccine!
It is important for everyone who is six months and older to get a flu vaccine every year (with some very rare exceptions). The flu shot reduces your chances of getting sick. No fever, cough, sore throat or runny nose! Plus, if you don’t get the flu, you can’t spread it to your family.
HPSM makes getting your flu vaccine easy. Just visit your PCP or local pharmacy. Be sure to bring your HPSM Member ID with you.
While you are getting your flu vaccine, ask if you need other vaccines. For example, the pneumonia vaccine helps protect you from common bacteria that cause pneumonia. Ask your PCP if you need the pneumonia vaccine.
2) Stop germs from spreading!
- Wash your hands often with soap
- Try to avoid contact with sick people
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you sneeze, then throw the tissue away
3) Stay home if you are sick!
Even when your fever is gone, it is best to stay home for at least 24 hours (except to get medical care).