Accidental Injury (Subrogation)
When you are injured and someone else is at fault, subrogation is a way to get them to pay some or all of your health care claims. Common cases are:
- Work-related injuries
- Motor vehicle accidents (whether you are hurt in or around a vehicle)
- Slip and fall injuries on someone else’s property (such as a store)
If you are ever injured, let HPSM know right away by calling the number for your health plan below
CareAdvantage, Healthy Kids & HealthWorx:
- That is the number for Optum, HPSM's vendor that handles subrogation cases.
- Optum may ask you for facts about the accident, insurance claims and your lawyer’s contact information (if you have one)
- In most cases, once you give Optum all the needed facts, you are done
- Optum then works directly with the proper parties to get all valid claims paid
- If Optum does ask you follow-up questions, answer quickly. This helps them get your claims paid faster
- If you have received a letter from Optum with a case number, visit subro.optum.com
- For more information about Optum's subrogation process, see their Frequently Asked Questions
Call 916-445-9891 or visit the DHCS website.
Call the San Mateo Medical Center Finance Office at 650-573-2525.